Original Version found here
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 10 leaves kale, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground (sea) salt
- 1 cup pecans (or your choice of nut)
- 1 cup currants
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 Avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- INSTEAD of currants, use cranberries (dried)
- INSTEAD of pecans, use sunflower seeds
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir quinoa into the boiling water, reduce heat to medium-low, place cover on the saucepan, and cook until water absorbs into the quinoa (12 min). Remove saucepan from heat and let rest covered for 5 minutes. Remove cover and allow quinoa to cool completely.
- Put kale in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic pepper, and salt together in a bowl until oil emulsifies into the mixture; drizzle over kale. Add cooled quinoa, pecans, currants, and feta cheese to the dressed kale and toss to incorporate.
- Allow kale to cook with quinoa (prior to cooling).
- Add avocado, tomato, and cucumbers to the mixture.
- Omit feta cheese if desired.